Massie S. Ballon is the Communications and Outreach Manager at the JGI. Since 2009, she has served as the primary storyteller for the JGI, producing both text-based and multimedia stories. As the JGI’s social media manager, she has shared these and other JGI-relevant content on social media. She is also involved in the JGI’s community outreach efforts.
Ms. Ballon has a degree in molecular biology & biochemistry from Wesleyan University, and a graduate certificate in science communication from UC Santa Cruz. She is one of the Biosciences Area representatives to Berkeley Lab’s Inclusion, Diversity, Equity & Accountability (IDEA) Chairs Council.
- 2020-2021, UC Women’s Initiative (North Cohort)
- UC Managing Implicit Bias Certification
- 2020-present, Project Management Professional (PMP) Credential
- Graduate Certificate, UC Santa Cruz Science Communications Program
- Bachelor of Arts, Wesleyan University, Molecular Biology & Biochemistry
About the JGI Manager of Communications & Outreach
The Manager of Communications & Outreach is responsible for sustaining the integrity of the JGI brand through an integrated marketing and communications approach in support of JGI’s strategic vision, the Institute’s staff and user community.
Awards and Service
- 2014-present: Berkeley Lab IDEA Chairs Council representative
- 2020: Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Director’s Award for Exceptional Achievement in Outreach
- Member, National Association of Science Writers
- Member, Northern California Science Writers Association
- Member, Capitol Science Communicators