The JGI launched two podcasts in March 2020, hosted by science communicator Alison Takemura and secondary metabolism researcher Dan Udwary. Check out these audio stories, complete with transcripts.
Genome Insider hosted by Alison Takemura
“Genome Insider” is a podcast that showcases the work of JGI collaborators in brief forays, connecting audiences with the people behind the science. Hear diverse voices in science talk about their groundbreaking research to better understand — and harness — the superpowers encoded in plants, fungi, microalgae, environmental viruses, and bacteria to contribute to a more sustainable world. Host Alison Takemura produces profiles of JGI-supported projects, delving into the researchers’ motivations, the insights that amaze them, and how their work contributes to solving energy and environmental challenges.
Natural Prodcast hosted by Dan Udwary
“Natural Prodcast” is a “fireside chat”-style podcast about natural products and the science and scientists of secondary metabolism. Natural products, secondary metabolites, and specialized metabolites all refer to the chemicals that make species unique and different from one another. They are incredibly important to medicine, the environment, and human health. As the JGI acts on its goals in — and builds out its capabilities for — secondary metabolism research, “Natural Prodcast” serves as an important line of communication to the scientific community. Hosts Dan Udwary and Alison Takemura talk to luminaries in the field about current and future developments, and how the JGI can be part of that space.
Recent and Past Podcasts from JGI
Listen to all the latest episodes of Genome Insider and Natural Prodcast.
Genome Insider is available on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Spotify, iHeart Radio, and TuneIn Radio – Subscribe today! Natural Prodcast is available on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, and Spotify – Subscribe today!
- Genome Insider S2 Episode 3: Better Living Through Bioenergy (4/13/2021) - In this episode of JGI’s Genome Insider, scientists are working with Pseudomonas putida to help bring about a more sustainable, bio-based economy.
- Natural Prodcast Episode 13: Francisco Barona Goméz (3/11/2021) - Natural Prodcast guest Francisco Barona-Gomez suggests discussing natural products from bacteria-centric terms and not from a human-centric point of view.
- Genome Insider S2 Episode 2: Cracking the Secrets of the Diatom’s Shell (3/9/2021) - In this JGI Genome Insider episode, Setsuko Wakao and Kris Niyogi are investigating how diatoms make their silica shells.
- Genome Insider S2 Episode 1: Exploring the Diversity of the American Prairie’s Switchgrass (2/4/2021) - In this episode of JGI’s Genome Insider, a team of scientists pursue secrets of switchgrass diversity through its genome.
- Natural Prodcast Episode 12: Nadine Ziemert (12/22/2020) - Continuing the Natural Prodcast series on genome mining, guest Nadine Ziemert from the University of Tübingen on the evolution of secondary metabolite pathways as viewed through metagenome studies, and what more JGI and others can do to enable progress in this area of natural products.
- Natural Prodcast Episode 11: Marnix Medema (11/24/2020) - In this Natural Prodcast podcast episode, Marnix Medema of Wageningen University and his collaborators have a fantastic set of software tools for exploring secondary metabolite biosynthetic gene clusters (BGCs).
- Genome Insider Episode 9: The Soil Blooms Green (11/12/2020) - In Genome Insider, Penn State researchers Mary Ann Bruns and Terry Bell are studying a microbial community that might be quietly improving the soil.
- Natural Prodcast Episode 10: A Primer on Genome Mining (11/9/2020) - In this Natural Prodcast episode, the basics of genome mining, including an analogy involving the California Gold Rush. Also covered: a new publication out of JGI in Nature Biotechnology.
- Genome Insider Episode 8: A Plantiful Future: Xiaohan Yang (10/13/2020) - Can plants help humans attain a renewable energy future? Xiaohan Yang, a scientist at Oak Ridge National Laboratory, believes they can.
- Genome Insider Episode 7: Decoding Yellowstone’s microbial mats (9/9/2020) - Researchers studying cyanobacteria in Yellowstone National Park encountered surprises, adopted new technologies, and made a few discoveries about the microbial mat denizens.