The JGI launched two podcasts in March 2020, hosted by science communicator Alison Takemura and secondary metabolism researcher Dan Udwary. Check out these audio stories, complete with transcripts.
Genome Insider hosted by Alison Takemura
“Genome Insider” is a podcast that showcases the work of JGI collaborators in brief forays, connecting audiences with the people behind the science. Hear diverse voices in science talk about their groundbreaking research to better understand — and harness — the superpowers encoded in plants, fungi, microalgae, environmental viruses, and bacteria to contribute to a more sustainable world. Host Alison Takemura produces profiles of JGI-supported projects, delving into the researchers’ motivations, the insights that amaze them, and how their work contributes to solving energy and environmental challenges.
Natural Prodcast hosted by Dan Udwary
“Natural Prodcast” is a “fireside chat”-style podcast about natural products and the science and scientists of secondary metabolism. Natural products, secondary metabolites, and specialized metabolites all refer to the chemicals that make species unique and different from one another. They are incredibly important to medicine, the environment, and human health. As the JGI acts on its goals in — and builds out its capabilities for — secondary metabolism research, “Natural Prodcast” serves as an important line of communication to the scientific community. Hosts Dan Udwary and Alison Takemura talk to luminaries in the field about current and future developments, and how the JGI can be part of that space.
Recent and Past Podcasts from JGI
Listen to all the latest episodes of Genome Insider and Natural Prodcast.
Genome Insider is available on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Spotify, iHeart Radio, and TuneIn Radio – Subscribe today! Natural Prodcast is available on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, and Spotify – Subscribe today!
- Genome Insider S2 Episode 7: THE Bioenergy Tree (9/14/2021) - Scientists are uncovering the poplar tree’s genetic secrets, bringing us closer to a sustainable source of bioenergy and materials.
- Natural Prodcast Episode 15 – Katherine Duncan (8/30/2021) - This Natural Prodcast episode features Katherine Duncan from the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow, Scotland. Her work focuses on marine microbial chemical ecology.
- Genome Insider S2 Episode 6: Back to the Future! A Sorghum Story (8/10/2021) - Hear how sorghum’s historical — and literal — roots could play a big role in our energy future.
- Natural Prodcast Episode 14 – Nigel Mouncey (8/9/2021) - Natural Prodcast features JGI Director Nigel Mouncey, lead of the JGI's Secondary Metabolites Science Program. Dr. Mouncey shares his vision for the JGI that sees secondary metabolism analysis and research as a driver for novel technologies that can serve all JGI users.
- Genome Insider S2 Episode 5: A Powerful Technique to Study Microbes, Now Easier (6/8/2021) - In this episode of JGI’s Genome Insider: Jennifer Pett-Ridge teamed with JGI scientists to improve a protocol, using robots to help process experiments that measure microbial activity in soil.
- Genome Insider S2 Episode 4: Party in the Rhizosphere (5/18/2021) - In this episode of the JGI’s Genome Insider, you’re invited to the rhizosphere, where the microbes play.
- Genome Insider S2 Episode 3: Better Living Through Bioenergy (4/13/2021) - In this episode of JGI’s Genome Insider, scientists are working with Pseudomonas putida to help bring about a more sustainable, bio-based economy.
- Natural Prodcast Episode 13: Francisco Barona Goméz (3/11/2021) - Natural Prodcast guest Francisco Barona-Gomez suggests discussing natural products from bacteria-centric terms and not from a human-centric point of view.
- Genome Insider S2 Episode 2: Cracking the Secrets of the Diatom’s Shell (3/9/2021) - In this JGI Genome Insider episode, Setsuko Wakao and Kris Niyogi are investigating how diatoms make their silica shells.
- Genome Insider S2 Episode 1: Exploring the Diversity of the American Prairie’s Switchgrass (2/4/2021) - In this episode of JGI’s Genome Insider, a team of scientists pursue secrets of switchgrass diversity through its genome.