The JGI launched two podcasts in March 2020. Check out these audio stories, complete with transcripts.
Genome Insider hosted by Menaka Wilhelm
“Genome Insider” is a podcast that showcases the work of JGI collaborators in brief forays, connecting audiences with the people behind the science. Hear diverse voices in science talk about their groundbreaking research to better understand — and harness — the superpowers encoded in plants, fungi, microalgae, environmental viruses, and bacteria to contribute to a more sustainable world. Learn about JGI-supported projects, delving into the researchers’ motivations, the insights that amaze them, and how their work contributes to solving energy and environmental challenges.
Natural Prodcast hosted by Dan Udwary
“Natural Prodcast” is a “fireside chat”-style podcast about natural products and the science and scientists of secondary metabolism. Natural products, secondary metabolites, and specialized metabolites all refer to the chemicals that make species unique and different from one another. They are incredibly important to medicine, the environment, and human health. As the JGI acts on its goals in — and builds out its capabilities for — secondary metabolism research, “Natural Prodcast” serves as an important line of communication to the scientific community. Hosts Dan Udwary and Alison Takemura talk to luminaries in the field about current and future developments, and how the JGI can be part of that space.
Recent and Past Podcasts from JGI
Listen to all the latest episodes of Genome Insider and Natural Prodcast.
Genome Insider is available on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, Spotify, iHeart Radio, and TuneIn Radio – Subscribe today! Natural Prodcast is available on Apple Podcasts, Google Play, and Spotify – Subscribe today!
- Genome Insider S3 Episode 1: Chomping Toward Better Plastic Recycling (7/28/2022) - Some hungry insects can digest plastic, so researchers aim to follow their lead to improve plastic recycling.
- Natural Prodcast Episode 17 – Cassandra Quave (4/19/2022) - Natural Prodcast guest Cassandra Quave makes the case for investigating the chemistries and pharmacological promise of plants.
- Genome Insider S2 Episode 10: Filling in the Plant Tree of Life (2/8/2022) - In this episode, hear about a project that aims to unlock innovations in plants that could drive more productive food, medicine, and bioenergy crops.
- Natural Prodcast Episode 16 – Marcy Balunas (1/28/2022) - Natural Prodcast guest Marcy Balunas on the chemical exploration of natural products for bioactive compound discovery and other topics.
- Genome Insider S2 Episode 9: Creating an Energy Market for Miscanthus (11/23/2021) - In this Genome Insider episode, Miscanthus is a prized ornamental and a potential fuel for the future. But, to be competitive in the market, both energy policy and Miscanthus will need some upgrades.
- Genome Insider S2 Episode 8: Dispatches From JGI Interns (10/19/2021) - In this episode, hear two JGI-UC Merced interns from the 2021 cohort describe their deep dives into genomics, computational tools, and big data.
- Genome Insider S2 Episode 7: THE Bioenergy Tree (9/14/2021) - Scientists are uncovering the poplar tree’s genetic secrets, bringing us closer to a sustainable source of bioenergy and materials.
- Natural Prodcast Episode 15 – Katherine Duncan (8/30/2021) - This Natural Prodcast episode features Katherine Duncan from the University of Strathclyde in Glasgow, Scotland. Her work focuses on marine microbial chemical ecology.
- Genome Insider S2 Episode 6: Back to the Future! A Sorghum Story (8/10/2021) - Hear how sorghum’s historical — and literal — roots could play a big role in our energy future.
- Natural Prodcast Episode 14 – Nigel Mouncey (8/9/2021) - Natural Prodcast features JGI Director Nigel Mouncey, lead of the JGI's Secondary Metabolites Science Program. Dr. Mouncey shares his vision for the JGI that sees secondary metabolism analysis and research as a driver for novel technologies that can serve all JGI users.