In April 2016, Dr. Kjiersten Fagnan became the JGI’s Chief Informatics Officer. She responsible for developing and executing the strategic plan for computing and data analysis. Dr. Fagnan joined the JGI in 2012 after completing a petascale postdoctoral fellowship at the DOE National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center (NERSC) and the Computational Research Division at Berkeley Lab. In 2014 Fagnan became the JGI-NERSC Engagement Lead and focused on adapting JGI data-intensive workloads to run on supercomputing hardware. She is also the group lead for NERSC’s Data Science Engagement group and leads efforts to build collaborations between NERSC and other DOE facilities.
- PhD Applied Mathematics University of Washington, Seattle
- BA Applied Mathematics University of California, Berkeley
- MBA Haas School of Business, University of California, Berkeley
About the JGI Chief Informatics Officer
The Chief Informatics Officer provides advice and strategic direction for the overall design and implementation of computational biology and bioinformatics approaches in support of meeting DOE mission critical programmatic goals.
Awards and Service
- Technovation Challenge Mentor
- Professional Development Panelist – “Building Effective Teams”
- Marie Curie Research Training Network Fellow
- Achievement Rewards for College Scientists Fellow
- Dosanjh and S. Canon and J. DeSlippe and K. Fagnan and R. Gerber and L. Gerhardt and J. Hick and D. Jacobsen and D. Skinner and N.J. Wright Extreme Data Science. Big Data and Extreme-Scale Computing Conference, February, 2014.
- G.S. Pau and J.B. Bell and A.S. Almgren and K.M. Fagnan and M.J. Lijewski An Adaptive Mesh Refinement Algorithm for Compressible Two-Phase Flow In Porous Media. Compu- tational Geophysics, 16(3), 2012.
- Kirsten M. Fagnan and Randall J. LeVeque and Thomas J. Matula Computational Mod- els of Material Interfaces for the Study of Extracorporeal Shock Wave Therapy, accepted Communications in Applied Mathematics and Computational Science, January, 2014.
- Kirsten M. Fagnan and Nicholas J. Wright and Michael J. Lijewski and George S. Pau Acceleration of porous media simulations on the Cray XE6 platform. Proceedings from the Cray User Group Meeting, 2011.