- Diploma in Biology, Eberhard Karls University of Tübingen, Germany
- PhD in Microbiology, Eberhard Karls University of Tübingen, Germany (summa cum laude)
About the JGI Deputy of User ProgramsThe Deputy of User Programs provides direction, leadership, and oversight for all JGI user programs, including the Community Science Program and Emerging Technical Opportunity Program. The Deputy of User Programs also acts as a liaison to our partner institutions, funding agencies and the broader scientific community.
- Woyke T et al. Function-driven single-cell genomics. Microb Biotechnol. 2015;8(1):38-9.
- Nobu MK et al. Microbial dark matter ecogenomics reveals complex synergistic networks in a methanogenic bioreactor. ISME J. 2015.
- Field EK et al. Genomic insights into the uncultivated marine Zetaproteobacteria at Loihi Seamount. ISME J. 2015;9:857-70.
- Youssef NH et al. Insights into the metabolism, lifestyle and putative evolutionary history of the novel archaeal phylum ‘Diapherotrites’. ISME J. 2015;9:447-60.
- Clingenpeel S et al. Reconstructing each cell’s genome within complex microbial communities-dream or reality? Front Microbiol. 2015;5:771.
- Clingenpeel S et al. Effects of sample treatments on genome recovery via single-cell genomics. ISME J. 2014;8:2546-9.
- O’Connor RM et al. Gill bacteria enable a novel digestive strategy in a wood-feeding mollusk. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:E5096-104.
- Woyke T et al. Evolution. Searching for new branches on the tree of life. Science. 2014;346:698-9.
- Roux S et al. Ecology and evolution of viruses infecting uncultivated SUP05 bacteria as revealed by single-cell- and meta-genomics. Elife. 2014;3:e03125.
- Hedlund BP et al. Impact of single-cell genomics and metagenomics on the emerging view of extremophile “microbial dark matter”. Extremophiles. 2014;18:865-75.
- Mason OU et al. Single-cell genomics reveals features of a Colwellia species that was dominant during the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. Front Microbiol. 2014;5:332.
- Rinke C et al. Insights into the Phylogeny and Coding Potential of Microbial Dark Matter. Nature. 2013; 499: 431-7.
- Swan BK et al. Prevalent genome streamlining and latitudinal divergence of planktonic bacteria in the surface ocean. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013; 110: 11463-8.
- Campbell JH et al. UGA is an additional glycine codon in uncultured SR1 bacteria from the human microbiota. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013; 110: 5540-5.
- Shih PM et al. Improving the coverage of the cyanobacterial phylum using diversity-driven genome sequencing. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012; 110: 1053-8.
- Hess M et al. Metagenomic discovery of biomass-degrading genes and genomes from cow rumen. Science. 2011; 331: 463-467.
- Swan BK et al. Potential for chemolithoautotrophy among ubiquitous bacteria lineages in the dark ocean. Science. 2011; 333: 1296-1300.
- Cuvelier ML et al. Targeted metagenomics and ecology of globally important uncultured eukaryotic phytoplankton. Proc Nat Acad Sci U S A. 2010; 107: 14679-84.
- Woyke T et al. One Microbial Cell, One Complete Genome. PLoS One. 2010; 5: e10314.
- Woyke T et al. Assembling the marine metagenome, one cell at a time. PLoS One. 2009; 4: e5299.
- Newton ILG et al. The Calyptogena magnifica chemoautotrophic symbiont genome. Science. 2007; 315: 998-1000.
- Woyke T et al. Symbiosis insights through metagenomic analysis of a microbial consortium. Nature. 2006; 443: 950-5.