Mr. Everson rejoined the JGI in 2020 and leads all aspects of JGI Operations which include the Safety, Finance, Human Resources, Facilities, IT, Shipping and Receiving, Lab Automation, and Administration departments. He previously served as JGI’s Business Manager from 2007 to 2012, overseeing all financial and logistics activities. He returned to the Joint Genome Institute after serving as the Chief Operating Officer of the DOE Joint Bioenergy Institute and the Operations Deputy for LBNL’s Biological Systems & Engineering Division. Prior to his tenure with Berkeley Lab, he served in the US Navy for 6 years as a submarine electrician and a financial analyst in industry and at the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory.
- MBA, UC Berkeley-Haas School of Business
- BS in Business Administration, UC Berkeley-Haas School of Business
About the JGI Deputy Director of Operations
The Deputy of Operations provides oversight and leadership of JGI operations infrastructure, including space and facilities, finance and procurement, human resources, safety, and administrative activities. The Deputy of Operations supports and acts on behalf of the JGI Director in day-to-day management and planning related to the JGI’s infrastructure and business functions. He acts as a resource and provides advice and counsel regarding current DOE, national laboratory, and UC policies and procedures that have an impact on management of the JGI. In addition, he makes decisions or final recommendations on operational issues, and also acts as liaison/spokesperson and represents the JGI to DOE, external agencies, industrial contacts, participating national laboratories, and other organizations with regard to JGI administrative and financial management, facilities, environmental health and safety, and business issues.
Awards and Service
- Selected for the 2012 LBNL “Emerging Leader Program” at the UC Berkeley Haas School of Business
- Served as a reviewer for DOE’s Science & Operations Peer Review of the Center for Functional Nanomaterials (CFN) at Brookhaven National Laboratory in 2015
- Served on the Council of UC Staff Assemblies (CUCSA) from 2015 to 2018, representing Berkeley Lab in this UC-wide staff advocacy group