Nick rejoined the JGI in July 2020. He oversees the JGI Operations Department which includes, Procurement, Human Resources, Facilities, Safety, Lab Automation and Administration groups. Nick has 20 years of financial and operations management experience, beginning as a submarine electrician in the United States Navy. He was a financial analyst in industry for Intel Corporation, and then in the National Lab environment at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. He began work at Berkeley Lab as the Business Manager for the DOE Joint Genome Institute (JGI) in 2007 and received his MBA from the UC Berkeley Haas School of Business while there. After his time at JGI, Nick spent 2.5 years as the Deputy Director for Operations in the Materials Sciences Division at Berkeley Lab. Nick was Chief Operating Officer of the US Department of Energy’s Joint BioEnergy Institute since October 2014, and in October 2015 also took on the role of Deputy for Operations for the Biological Systems & Engineering Division.
- MBA, UC Berkeley, Haas School of Business
- BS – Business Administration, UC Berkeley, Haas School of Business
- US Naval Nuclear Propulsion Educational Pipeline
About the JGI Deputy Director of Operations
The Deputy of Operations provides oversight and leadership of JGI operations infrastructure, including space and facilities, finance and procurement, human resources, safety, and administrative activities. The Deputy of Operations supports and acts on behalf of the JGI Director in day-to-day management and planning related to the JGI’s infrastructure and business functions. He acts as a resource and provides advice and counsel regarding current DOE, national laboratory, and UC policies and procedures that have an impact on management of the JGI. In addition, he makes decisions or final recommendations on operational issues, and also acts as liaison/spokesperson and represents the JGI to DOE, external agencies, industrial contacts, participating national laboratories, and other organizations with regard to JGI administrative and financial management, facilities, environmental health and safety, and business issues.
- Deputy, Operations, DOE Joint Genome Institute, July 2020 →
- Deputy, Operations, Biological Systems & Engineering Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, October 2015 – June 2020
- Chief Operating Officer, Joint BioEnergy Institute (JBEI), October 2014 – June 2020
- Deputy, Operations, Materials Science Division, June 2012 – October 2014
- Business Manager, DOE Joint Genome Institute, August 2007 – June 2012
- Senior Resource Analyst, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, October 2005 – July 2007
- Financial Analyst, Intel Corporation, June 2003 – Oct 2005
- Submarine Electrician, United States Navy, Aug 1993 – Aug 1999