JGI fosters a diverse workforce—in experience, perspective, background—and a culture of inclusion for scientific excellence and groundbreaking innovations. This aligns with the Principles of Stewardship at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab), and with the Lab tradition of multidisciplinary teams working together to bring science solutions to the world.
- JGI Develops “RAISE the Standard” poster
- ENGAGE Club: JGI Coffee Socials
- Discovering Why Diversity Matters
- Genomics Division’s Diversity Retreat Seeks To Overcome Implicit Bias, Raise Awareness
The Working Group and Advisory Board
JGI Early Career Association
The JGI Early Career Association is run for and by JGI postdocs and early career scientists. The group hosts events at the JGI, and keeps members apprised of events they can participate in that are organized or announced by the Berkeley Lab Postdoc Association, an organization of postdocs and early career scientists working at Berkeley Lab.
Berkeley Lab Postdoc Research SLAM
Click here to watch the video of the event emceed by David Gilbert and featuring Kateryna Zhalnina as one of the 12 finalists.
2018 National Postdoc Appreciation Week
2017 National Postdoc Appreciation Week
In engaging students and seeking to inspire an understanding of JGI’s role in advancing the energy and environmental genomics research frontier, the goal is to inspire more students to enter the STEM workforce, developing a more diverse and inclusive pool of talent. Among JGI’s education activities that have evolved independently from those administered through the Berkeley Lab Workforce Development & Education Office are the JGI-UC Merced Genomics Internship, and at the high school level, a partnership between JGI and the nonprofit Biotech Partners to host Antioch High School students.
- Mentoring and Internships at JGI (videos)
- Access to Rock Star Scientists
- “A STEM career is in reach and accessible”
- At the Forefront of Terrestrial Virus Research
- From Textbook to Real World Applications
- A Social Science Experience
- DOE JGI Interns Share Their Summer Experiences
- Training the Next Generation of Talent
- Biotech Partners Summer Intern Co-Authors NAR Paper
- JGI Interns at UC Merced Earn CAMP Merit Awards
Representing JGI at Lab Efforts
Many JGI staff are actively engaged in Berkeley Lab efforts to celebrate and nurture a community that respects and celebrates each other. Through the Lab’s Ambassador Program, for example, scientists, engineers and operations staff from JGI have engaged with the community with the aim of advancing outreach efforts to increase underrepresented populations at the Lab.
- What Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Month Means: Julie Kang
- JGI Helps Launch Berkeley Lab U.S. Veteran Self-ID Campaign in Video
- JGI Sequencing QA/QC Group Lead Erika Lindquist’s Observations on Veterans Day (video)
- Berkeley Lab Marks Black History Month: Steve Wilson
- Berkeley Lab Recognizes Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month: Christine Naca
- Berkeley Lab @ National Society Of Black Engineers’ (NSBE) 41st Annual Convention
- 5th Annual Berkeley Lab Diversity & Cultural Festival (video)