The JGI fosters a diverse workforce—in experience, perspective, background—and a culture of inclusion for scientific excellence and groundbreaking innovations. These efforts align with Berkeley Lab’s Principles of Stewardship and are informed by the practices of the Inclusion Diversity Equity Accountability (IDEA) Office, and with the Lab tradition of multidisciplinary teams working together to bring science solutions to the world. The JGI is involved in mentoring, supporting early career researchers, and outreach efforts.
- JGI Develops “RAISE the Standard” poster
- ENGAGE Club: JGI Coffee Socials
- Discovering Why Diversity Matters
- Genomics Division’s Diversity Retreat Seeks To Overcome Implicit Bias, Raise Awareness
The Working Group and Advisory Board
Many JGI staff are actively engaged in Berkeley Lab efforts to celebrate and nurture a community that respects and celebrates each other. Through the Lab’s Ambassador Program, for example, scientists, engineers and operations staff from JGI have engaged with the community with the aim of advancing outreach efforts to increase underrepresented populations at the Lab.
- What Asian American Pacific Islander Heritage Month Means: Julie Kang
- JGI Helps Launch Berkeley Lab U.S. Veteran Self-ID Campaign in Video
- JGI Sequencing QA/QC Group Lead Erika Lindquist’s Observations on Veterans Day (video)
- Berkeley Lab Marks Black History Month: Steve Wilson
- Berkeley Lab Recognizes Asian-Pacific American Heritage Month: Christine Naca
- Berkeley Lab @ National Society Of Black Engineers’ (NSBE) 41st Annual Convention
- 5th Annual Berkeley Lab Diversity & Cultural Festival (video)