The JGI User Executive Committee (UEC) represents the JGI user community and is responsible for providing input and advice on JGI policies and practices that affect users and their science including technical capabilities offered, proposal review procedures, and the annual user meeting. The UEC also acts as a liaison to the user community and the broader scientific community and promotes communication and collaboration within the user community.
UEC responsibilities include:
- Make recommendations to JGI regarding calls for proposals, including focus areas, eligibility, timing, and proposal review process;
- Make recommendations to JGI regarding technical capabilities offered, including areas where more or less capacity is needed, new capabilities desired, or capabilities that could be discontinued;
- Provide suggestions for session themes and speakers for the annual JGI User Meeting, as well as input on other aspects of the meeting such as duration, location, and cost;
- Communicate with the user community and bring forward user suggestions and concerns;
- Provide feedback and make recommendations on how the JGI Science Programs can best support the user community.
- Advise JGI on other topics as needed.
UEC membership, qualifications, and terms of service
Any investigator who has been an active user of the JGI at any time in the past two fiscal years is eligible for election to the UEC. Terms are 3 years and members can serve no more than two consecutive terms.
A Chair and Vice-Chair will be selected by the UEC members for one-year terms, after which the Vice-Chair will become Chair, the Chair will become the Former Chair and a new Vice-Chair will be elected. The Chair is responsible for preparing the agenda of UEC meetings in coordination with the JGI Director and the Deputy for User Programs and represents the JGI users on the JGI Scientific Advisory Committee. The Vice-Chair is responsible for preparing an annual UEC report.
Elections are held annually with one-third of the seats being filled each year. Anyone can nominate, but only users active in the last fiscal year can vote or be elected. Voting is electronic and each user can vote for as many candidates as there are openings.
The UEC will meet in person once per year at the annual JGI User meeting, with reasonable travel expenses to be paid by JGI. There will be at least one other meeting held by teleconference each year, with additional teleconference meetings as needed.