As set out in the JGI Five-Year Strategic Plan – “Beyond Basepairs, A Vision for Integrative and Collaborative Genome Science” – through early introduction to the resources and disciplines advanced by the JGI, we seek to inspire more students to enter the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) workforce. In doing so, it is our ambition to further develop a more diverse and inclusive pool of talent for career opportunities at JGI and Berkeley Lab.
We seek to inspire more students to enter the science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) workforce. In doing so, it is our ambition to further develop a more diverse and inclusive pool of talent for career opportunities at JGI and Berkeley Lab. As set out in the JGI Five-Year Strategic Plan, it is our goal to bring forth the resources and disciplines advanced by the JGI to the next generation of scientists.
In 2021, the JGI began partnering with CalTeach to explore opportunities for highlighting JGI data portals as potentially teachable assets with participating undergraduate STEM majors interested in exploring a career in education. That summer, JGI mentors welcomed four CalTeach Summer Research Institute (SRI) participants who immersed themselves in the JGI Integrated Microbial Genomes & Microbiomes (IMG/M) data management system and the JGI fungal genomics comparative analysis portal MycoCosm. For Summer 2022, the JGI hosted CalTeach interns to develop tutorials for the JGI comparative genomics platform for algae, PhycoCosm.
The results were these video tutorials.
IMG/M Case Studies
- Erone Cao, “A Genomic Approach to Oil & Sustainability” – watch Erone’s video
- Jia Xin Sun, “Exploring Hydrothermal Vents Using Metagenomic Analysis” – watch Jia’s video
- JGI Mentors: Natalia Ivanova and Rekha Seshadri
More information about how IMG/M can be used may be found in this short video and in these webinars.
MycoCosm Case Studies
- Amanda Gonzaga, “MycoCosm KEGG Browser Tutorial” – watch Amanda’s video
- Arthi Inagandla, “MycoCosm Tutorial” – watch Arthi’s video
- JGI Mentors: Sajeet Haridas and Stephen Mondo
PhycoCosm Case Studies
|2022 intern Emily Chase||2022 intern Cynthia Shi||2022 intern Valerie Tran|
- Cynthia Shi, “Endosymbiotic Gene Transfer discovered with PhycoCosm” – watch Cynthia’s video
- Valerie Tran, “Understanding gene regulation in Scenedesmus algae” – watch Valerie’s video
- JGI Mentors: Sara Calhoun, Bishoy Kamel and Alan Kuo
San Francisco high school teacher Jeffrey Kim worked with the JGI’s Patrick Davidson on a module harnessing the plant data portal Phytozome.
More Information About this Program
For more information about MycoCosm, additional resources including a more extensive webinar may be found here.
For debrief about how to work with CalTeach and the JGI, check out this video.
Those interested in partnering with the JGI through CalTeach, please contact: email@example.com.