On November 3, 2021, the JGI and the Workforce Development & Education department of Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (Berkeley Lab) hosted a pitch event promoting fully-supported summer research collaborations through the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)’s Visiting Faculty Program (VFP).
The VFP is a summer professional development program for current faculty. Applying faculty members may invite up to two student participants from the faculty member’s home academic institution, one of which may be a graduate student. Applications are solicited annually for the summer term (May through August) and selected projects will receive stipend and travel expenses, both for faculty members and students who participate.
The researchers who pitched potential collaborations were:
- Simon Roux and Matthew Kellom for the JGI Metagenome Program
- Ellen Dow and Elisha Wood-Charlson for the DOE Systems Biology Knowledgebase (KBase)
- Ian Blaby for the JGI DNA Synthesis Platform
- Ben Bowen and Katherine Louie for the JGI Metabolomics Platform
- Blake Simmons for The BioManufactory
Completed VFP applications are due on January 12, 2022. Faculty interested in developing proposals with JGI and Biosciences Area researchers should contact David Gilbert (email@example.com).