David Gilbert is Senior Manager for Communications & Outreach, joining the JGI in 2003 and driving the communications effort during the transition from the Human Genome Project to its current role as a national user facility tasked with characterizing plants and microbes to advance research in bioenergy, global carbon cycling, and biogeochemistry. Gilbert, a graduate of the University of California, Berkeley with a degree in agricultural biotechnology, began his career in the biotechnology industry in 1983 where until 1988, he conducted research in plant molecular biology for Advanced Genetic Sciences located in Oakland, California. When the company then merged with DNA Plant Technology Corporation, Gilbert shifted his role from research to administration, assuming the role of Corporate Communications Manager. In 1992, he joined Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory where until December 2001 he was Development & Communications Officer for the Life Sciences and Genomics Divisions, building the industry partnerships program there. From 2001-2003, he served as Associate Director, Industry Outreach for The UC Discovery Grant, which provided $17 million in matching funds to foster industry-academic partnerships throughout the ten campuses and national laboratories of the University of California. In addition to his professional activities in the field of biotechnology, Gilbert served for ten years as president of the board of directors of Biotech Partners, an innovative non-profit, school-to-career program that enables underserved youth to prepare for entry-level skilled technical careers in the biotechnology industry.
- B.S. University of California, Berkeley Conservation and Resource Studies (Agricultural Biotechnology), Bachelor of Science
- UC-Coro Systemwide Leadership Collaborative, University of California, Office of the President: 2018 Northern California Cohort
- Stanford University, Executive Leadership Management Institute Certificate
- University of California, Los Angeles Technical Management Program Certificate
- Leadership Contra Costa Program (Walnut Creek Chamber of Commerce) Graduate
About the JGI Senior Manager of Communications & Outreach
The Senior Manager of Communications & Outreach is responsible for sustaining the integrity of the JGI brand through an integrated marketing and communications approach in support of JGI’s strategic vision, the Institute’s staff and user community.
Awards and Service
- 1992-2008: Biotech Partners: biotechpartners.org; Non-profit school-to-career program for under-served urban youth ; Member, Board of Directors, President (1998-2008)
- 2003-2014: Berkeley Lab Diversity & Inclusion Council member: https://commons.lbl.gov/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=81659219
- 2005-2009: Workforce Development Board of Contra Costa County: http://www.wdbccc.com/; Board Member; Co-chair, Business and Economic Development Committee
- 2012: Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Director’s Award for Exceptional Achievement (first ever awarded for communications/outreach)
- October 28, 2015: Master of Ceremonies, Berkeley Lab’s 5th Annual Diversity Cultural Festival: https://youtu.be/EG9YO9gMNXo