- BA in Biology, Aristotelian University of Thessaloniki, Greece;
- PhD in Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, University of Crete, Greece
Dr. Kyrpides joined the DOE Joint Genome Institute in 2004 to lead the Genome Biology Program and the development of the comparative analysis platforms for microbial genomes and metagenomes (IMG). He became the Metagenomics Program head in 2010 and leads the combined Microbial Genomes and Metagenomes Program since 2011. Prior to joining the DOE Joint Genome Institute, Dr. Kyrpides led the development of the genome analysis and Bioinformatics core at Integrated Genomics Inc. in Chicago, IL. He did his postdoctoral studies with Carl Woese at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and with Ross Overbeek at the Argonne National Laboratory.
Awards and Service
Awards: The van Niel International Prize for Studies in Bacterial Systematics (2014); American Academy of Microbiology Fellow (2014); Academic Excellent Prize Award, Empeirikeion Foundation (2012); Outstanding Performance Award, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (2007)
Administrative Boards: Genomics Standards Consortium. Scientific Advisory Boards: EarthCube Oceanography & Geobiology Environmental Omics (ECOGEO) RCN, USA; Biocreative programme, USA; AgreenSkills programme, France; Meta-omics of microbial ecosystems, INRA, France; A Knowledge-Based Bioinformatics Framework for Microbial Pathway Genomics (MICROME), EU; Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) Special Interest Group in Bioinformatics, USA; Metagenomics of the Human Intestinal Tract (MetaHIT), EU; Community Cyber-infrastructure for Advanced Marine Microbial Ecology Research and Analysis (CAMERA), USA. Editorial Board: Environmental Microbiology; BMC Microbiome; Life; Journal of Bacteriology; BMC Standards in Genomic Sciences (SIGS)
- Kyrpides NC et al. (2014) Genomic Encyclopedia of Bacteria and Archaea: Sequencing a Myriad of Type Strains. PLoS Biology 12(8):e1001920
- Ivanova NN, et al. (2014) Stop codon reassignments in the wild. Science. 344(6186):909-13
- Pati A et al. (2010) GenePRIMP: A GENE PRediction IMprovement Pipeline for Prokaryotic genomes. Nat Methods. 2010; 7: 455-7.
- Kyrpides N.C. (2009) Fifteen Years of Microbial Genomics: Meeting the Challenges and Fulfilling the Dream. Nat Biotech. 27: 627 -632.
- Mavromatis K et al. (2007) Use of simulated data sets to evaluate the fidelity of metagenomic processing methods. Nat Methods. 4: 495-500.